HOSPITAL staff were told to go to their doctors after asbestos was disturbed in the basement of a building in Liverpool city centre.
The concerned relative of a worker at Derwent House, in London Road, where the training and legal departments of the Royal Liverpool Hospital are based, said the material was disturbed, causing potential health risks, a few weeks ago.
He said: “After they found it my relative was advised to go and see her doctor.
“Staff were really upset about it – people were crying when they found out.
“When you hear something like that the instant worry is asbestosis.
“Everyone booked appointments with their GPs and were expecting to be told to have X-rays to check if there is any damage.
“People are panicking because paperwork is kept in the basement and if they went down there they might have been in contact with it.
“Another worry is a lift shaft going from the basement right through the building so the particles could have dispersed anywhere.”