CONTROVERSIAL plans to create Titanic II – a replica of the Liverpool-owned liner that sank in 1912 – have gone on show.
Australian billionaire Clive Palmer is behind the scheme, with hopes it will set sail from Southampton in 2016.
Palmer's company is called Blue Star Line, an echo of Titanic's Liverpool owners White Star Line. The mining magnate wants his Titanic II passenger liner to set sail from Southampton to New York within three years.
At 883ft (269m), the Titanic II will be three inches longer than the original, which was conceived, owned and registered in Liverpool.
It will have a total of 835 first, second and third class cabins and will be able to carry 2,435 passengers and 900 crew. Critics have suggested the project is in bad taste.
Mr Palmer displayed his plans in Southampton yesterday and held a press conference in London earlier this week. He said his vessel would honour the dead, and stop them from being forgotten.
He said: "It’s fitting that 100 years later we are mature enough to pay tribute to those people."The Titanic sank in the North Atlantic, on April 15, 1912, after colliding with an iceberg, killing more than 1,500 people.