EFC midfielder focuses on making his mark at Goodison Park
Gareth Barry insists he is not even thinking about the possibility of an England recall after sealing his season-long loan move to Everton.
The Manchester City midfielder was one of three deadline-day signings at Goodison Park, completing his switch minutes before Monday night’s 11pm cut-off. The 32-year-old was joined by Wigan’s James McCarthy, who sealed a £13m move, and Romelu Lukaku, who joined on loan from Chelsea.
Barry arrives on Merseyside having found himself frozen out at the Etihad Stadium under new City boss Manuel Pellegrini.
His England career, too, has stalled, with the last of his 53 caps coming in May 2012. Despite this, and despite the looming presence of a World Cup next summer, the former Aston Villa man says he will be focused solely on Everton in the coming campaign.
Barry said: “Firstly, it’s all about playing regular football in the Premier League. I haven’t joined Everton to try and help my England ambitions but that will come if I’m playing consistently well for Everton.
“It’s something that it’s in the background at the minute really.
“I’ve not been involved in an England squad for a year now, so my initial targets are to play well for Everton.
“It would be a big bonus if an England call came on the back of it. That would be a bonus for Everton too because it would mean we would be playing well.
“Every footballer wants to feature in a World Cup. I’m no different. That would be a massive bonus, but there is a lot of hard work to do before that. Things will have to go very well for me at Everton for that to happen. If they do, that would be brilliant.”
On his decision to make the move from City, he added: “It was made clear to me that I wasn’t going to be guaranteed first team football.
“I wasn’t comfortable with my last year at City, with not playing, so now I’m looking to establish myself here. I’m grateful now to be at Everton but I’m also grateful for four fantastic years at City.
“As soon as I heard of Everton’s interest and spoke to Roberto Martinez. I knew I wanted to come here. He had a big part to play.
“Over the past decade Everton have always been challenging.
“That’s why I want to come here and also to try and help them to improve. Obviously there are done fantastic teams out there but there’s no reason why we can’t compete for fourth.”