The Premier League champions are expected to now split their bids for the pair
Roberto Martinez has branded Manchester United’s £28million bid for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines as a “waste of time” as he attempts to draw a line under continued speculation concerning the Everton duo.
The Goodison outfit last week dismissed the offer for Fellaini and Baines, declaring it “derisory and insulting”.
That is unlikely to deter United, with the Premier League champions expected to now split their bids for the pair with Old Trafford manager David Moyes still keen on his former players.
Martinez, though, is determined not to let the ongoing rumours overshadow the opening weeks of his Goodison tenure.
“It’s been well documented what happened with the transfer speculation, that’s been dealt with and it was all a little bit of a waste of time – time I don’t want the players to waste,” said the Spaniard.
“I think the start of the season was important for us at Norwich and I won’t come out now and carry on talking about the speculation.
“The players have had the demands of international football and then they started the league with a lot of travelling, so obviously you can imagine it’s been important these past few days that we can get them recovered, regenerate them in the right manner and get them ready for the next game.
“That, at the moment, is our only focus.”
Martinez has promised to keep supporters informed on the issues of comings and goings.
The Spaniard said: “I think the situation is very clear. I think as a football club we will always keep our fans informed.
“When there is something to tell our fans we will do that – they’ll be the first ones to know if there are any players coming in or any players going out.”
Martinez is a firm advocate of the transfer window closing before the season starts, with his focus now on his first home game at home to West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.
“I don’t believe in getting involved in the transfer window when the games are under way and we are in a very, very important moment of our season,” he said.
“We’re trying to find our feet, we got a good start under our belts, we’ve got real competition for places and we’ve got the visit of West Brom at the weekend.”
Everton were without Darron Gibson for their season opening 2-2 draw at Norwich City last Saturday, with Irishman to remain sidelined this weekend by his knee complaint.
However, Tony Hibbert and Magaye Gueye have resumed training although neither is likely to come into immediate contention.
“Darron Gibson is still recovering from his niggle,” said Martinez. “It is one of those situations where we have to be very, very careful. You are risking losing him for a long period.
“He’s not far away and I do expect him to be involved before the international break but it’s too early to tell if he will be back for Saturday.
“We are keeping a close eye on Tony Hibbert now he has joined the group, which is really positive news for us.”
Antolin Alcaraz, who underwent a hernia operation earlier this month, is nearing a return and could be back in action for the trip to Cardiff City on Saturday week.
“I expect Antolin Alcaraz to be fit over the coming weeks so it’s all positive,” added Martinez. “I would say the Cardiff game is most realistic, or the international break.
“He has been working really hard and the medical department have done a great job with him.”