Deal for 27-year-old Brazilian left back lined up with Spanish side Granada
Liverpool FC have lined up a £5million deal for Granada defender Guilherme Siqueira as manager Brendan Rodgers continues his summer squad strengthening.
The Anfield outfit are moving for the in-demand Siqueira after identifying the 27-year-old as the answer to their problematic left-back position.
Jose Enrique is at present the only senior player available in the role with youngster Jack Robinson on a season-long loan at Championship side Blackpool.
Although Brazilian-born, Siqueira would have no issues regarding a work permit as he has dual Italian citizenship.
He was signed by Inter Milan from his home country aged just 18 but failed to make a breakthrough before moving on to Udinese.
Siqueira, who was linked with Everton earlier this summer, then spent loan spells at Ancona and Granada before moving permanently to the La Liga side in 2011.
Rodgers is still hopeful of bringing in further new signings before the transfer window closes at the end of the month, with a centre-back and an attacking left-winger the priorities.
“I am confident that we will add to the team,” said the Northern Irishman. “I don’t think there is any doubt we need that.
“The players we have brought in have added great depth and support to the team, but that bit of quality now coming into the group could really set us up.”
Rodgers, speaking after Saturday’s 1-0 friendly defeat to Celtic in Dublin, confirmed West Ham United had made an offer – believed to be £6million – for Stewart Downing.
“There is a strong interest there,” said the Liverpool manager. “He is a good lad. He had a difficult first year and a bit but he really improved and is an important member of our squad who can come on and perform well.
“He is at a stage now where he has a couple of years left on his contract and if there is interest in him I am sure it is because he is a decent player.”
Rodgers, meanwhile, has insisted there is no personal problem between himself and Luis Suarez – but reiterated the Uruguayan will only be considered for selection once he apologises for his behaviour in attempting to engineer a move to Arsenal.
“That is something that we have to fix,” said Rodgers. “As a club and as a manager we have made our stance on the commitment and standard that is required.
“If you don’t have that commitment you won’t play, it is as simple as that. If you have to sit and wait and not move so be it.
“There is no problem between me and him. It doesn’t whether it is a star or a young player, if they are not pulling their weight then they are letting down the people of the club, the city and everyone who stood by him.
“So until I get that assurance that we will have 100% commitment there will be no solution, but there has been no falling out. It is quite calm but that is the standard and that is what we expect.”